Heather earned a M.S. and a Ph.D. from North Carolina State University in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. She has been a Senior Partner with Durham-based Developmental Associates since 2004. Heather, a Certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR), is an organizational consultant specializing in the nonprofit, governmental and educational sectors. She is a faculty member for the NC Certified Public Manager Program and a consultant with the UNC – School of Government Workplaces Initiative.
As a passionate advocate for assessing and developing emotional intelligence in the workplace, Heather blends academic training and evidence-based solutions with a practitioner approach to leadership assessment and development. Areas of practice include executive selection, organizational assessment, coaching, training, and executive leadership and team development using a variety of tools.
- In selection, Heather strives to create objective metrics for the complex and often subjective process of evaluating other humans. Working to find the most qualified candidate for open positions while using valid assessments, is a core interest.
- Heather is experienced in organizational assessment and designs comprehensive analyses to uncover core strengths and concerns that hinder effectiveness. Partnering with key stakeholders, not just leadership, Heather helps identify action plans that help organizations achieve their mission.
- Heather’s coaching practice helps clients, using a variety of assessments, to identify their strengths and opportunities for development in a supportive but engaged and candid fashion. Having coached hundreds of people in different occupations, she enjoys helping individuals leverage their strengths in order to bridge their skill gaps.
- Along with partner Korrel Kanoy, Heather has created and delivers multiple training programs on how to manage, hire and lead with emotional intelligence for a variety of organizations.
- Heather is certified to administer a number of assessment instruments such as EQi 2.0, EQ 260, MBTI, DiSC and Risk Compass, along with others to aid in leadership and team
Past work experience includes being a founding faculty member of the NC Center for Women in Public Service, an Associate Professor of Human Resources and Psychology at William Peace University and Vice President of Human Resources for Easter Seals of North Carolina. She was a founding board member for the Chordoma Foundation, a rare cancer research nonprofit in 2007 and remains engaged in the ongoing effort to find an effective treatment for this rare disease.